Employment & Scholarships
Washington Policy Center (WPC) is a non-profit, independent public policy think tank that works to improve the lives of Washington state’s citizens by providing high-quality and innovative solutions for policymakers, the media and the general public. We have a statewide staff of 20, an annual budget of $3.5 million, and offices located in Seattle, Olympia, Tri-Cities and Spokane. We hold approximately 50 events per year ranging from exclusive gatherings, conferences and lunches for 200-300 and our Annual Dinner with more than 2,000 attendees.
WPC’s research centers are the core of the organization. We focus on key areas including Agriculture, Education, Environment, Health Care, Government Reform, Small Business, Transportation and Worker Rights/labor reform issues.
The Washington Policy Center is now accepting applications for the following positions:
Washington Policy Center currently has an opening for a Development Manager on our 5-person Development Team. This is a regular, full-time position based in Seattle. The Development Manager will work with the Development team to help raise our annual budget and ensure we maintain top-notch stewardship and communication with our donors. This position works closely with and reports to the Development Director.
The Development Manager oversees WPC’s Annual fund programs. This position assists in the development of goals and strategy for all fundraising campaigns. The Development manager plans and implements marketing programs and stewardship strategies to increase donor interest and engagement. This position will be responsible for the design and implementation of the annual direct mail program and cultivate targeted individual support. The Development Manager will oversee the database and manage the Development Coordinator.
This role would be perfect for someone who is detail-oriented with strong written and communication skills. The ideal candidate would have 2-5 years of experience working in a fundraising
- Implement annual fund plan, managing donors who give under $1,000
- Track all donor information and fundraising metrics and report on status of goals and objectives to leadership quarterly
- Manage and execute development systems and processes, evaluating regularly
- Track development expense and revenue budget as overseen by the Development Director
- Oversee database management and data health
- Manage WPC’s Annual Fund donor base
- Oversee and execute WPC’s Direct Mail program, managing a solicitation and stewardship calendar which includes Housefile, prospect and relationship mailings
- Manages WPC’s digital fundraising efforts
- Develop donor engagement strategy to further current and long-term organization goals that all interactions with our programs and reflect WPC’s quality standards and mission
- Assist the development team with annual donor events
- Assist with donor communication and sponsor coordination for WPC’s annual gala event, the Annual Dinner
Young Professionals Coordinator
The Young Professionals Coordinator position at Washington Policy Center offers a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in administrative responsibilities, event planning, policy research, coordination of YP and college club activities, and development in a high-profile, non-profit environment. Based in WPC’s Spokane office, the YP coordinator works closely with, assists, and reports to the Young Professionals Director. This position, in coordination with the YP Director, runs WPC’s Young Professionals activities in Eastern Washington; manages all college club outreach; and manages the YP Mentorship program, among other responsibilities. This is a full-time position (40 hours/week).
- Closely with YP Director to execute newly developed three-year strategic plan
- Manage Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system for YP events, College Clubs, and YP Mentorship Program
- Manage all Young Professionals College Clubs, working closely with club officers to coordinate campus events, outreach, and officer recruitment
- Coordinate YP Mentorship program
- Manage YP Book Club logistics
- Manage Spokane Steering Committee & Communications
- Coordinate logistics, marketing materials, and communications for EWA YP events
- Maintain an inventory of YP supplies in the EWA Office
- Occasional writing and editing of original copy for publications, blogs, website and/or promotional use
- Work with YP Director to improve and broaden YP’s overall presence across Eastern Washington
- Cultivate new and current EWA relationships with YP members and community partners
- Occasional writing / research assistance on local government, agricultural and government reform issues in Washington state
- Assist YP Director and WPC’s development team on fundraising efforts for the YP program, including, but not limited to, event fundraising and direct mail
- Work with YP Director to plan and execute Washington Policy Center’s YP strategic communications efforts
- Perform duties within Raiser’s Edge including, but not limited to, processing event registrations, logging new members, notes, stewardship, solicitations, and updating member info
- Support the YP Director in managing member development and stewardship
- Work closely with YP Director on membership renewal process(es)
WPC’s Janet and Doug True Research Internship Program
Washington Policy Center offers part-time internship positions geared toward undergraduate students and recent graduates for each academic quarter including summer. Interns work approximately 12 hours per week. WPC allows flexible hours to work around the intern’s class schedule while attending nearby colleges and universities. Through the Janet and Doug True Research Internship Program, WPC has had the privilege of excellent interns each quarter since 1999. Former WPC interns have gone on to work in Washington D.C., have run for office, have completed prestigious academic endeavors and have begun successful careers in the private sector. Many credit their interest in policy to their time as a WPC intern.
Click here for information on WPC's Jennifer Dunn Thomson Scholarship.
Click here for information on WPC's Charter School Graduate Scholarship.