How Washington state can lead the way in health care innovation
1. State lawmakers can enact practical reforms that will expand health coverage and make private insurance more affordable, without affecting coverage for people in the Apple Health program.
2. Make the price of health care transparent, to end surprise billing and allow people to make choices that fit the health needs of their families.
3. Allow Health Reimbursement Arrangements so employees can have tax-free dollars to buy portable health insurance they can keep their whole lives.
4. Allow existing short-term plans to last for three years with availability for renewal, to allow consumers to have greater doctor and hospital choices.
5. Bolster Health Savings Account regulations to allow parents to open HSAs for children and allow young people to invest in HSAs.
6. Decrease mandates on health care plans so insurers can offer individualized plans that meet the particular health needs of consumers.
7. Encourage the use of telehealth services to allow patients better access to doctors across state lines.
8. Abolish Certificate of Need laws to increase the supply of hospital beds and services, and create more patient choices to drive lower costs.
Congress passed, and President Biden signed the $1.9 trillion Covid 19 relief bill in March 2021. This bill contains provisions that will dramatically increase government subsidies for health care insurance for millions of people who already have health care plans.
This increases subsidies to health care insurance companies that will have the long-term effect of increasing the cost of health care with modest or no benefit to those who need help getting health insurance coverage. There are better solutions to meet the crisis of rising health care costs.
State lawmakers can enact practical policy reforms that will expand health coverage and make private insurance more affordable, without affecting coverage for current Apple Health beneficiaries.