The Obama administration continues to delay the implementation of Obamacare. Yesterday, the White House announced a one year delay to 2015 of the employer mandate that requires any employer with more than 50 employees to provide health insurance or pay a federal tax. Although the bill became law over three years ago, the health care bureaucrats evidently need more time to implement the employer mandate.
Or, they need more time to convince employers to not cut back employee hours to part-time or not offer health benefits at all and simply pay the tax.
Of course, the individual mandate remains in place. Starting in 2014, every legal adult in the United States must own health insurance or pay a tax. This will create mass confusion as millions of employees will be forced into the individual health insurance market for one year while the government sorts out the employer mandate.
Here is a list of changes, or delays, to the original Obamacare law:
1. Cost. The original budget was $940 billion over the first ten years. Cost is now up to $1.76 trillion for the next ten years.
2. Cut to Medicare. The original budget was for a $520 billion cut. This
is now up to $716 billion.
3. Taxes. Original budget was $420 billion. This is now up to $1.0 trillion.
4. CLASS Act - long term care insurance - shelved and probably dead.
5. Federal risk pools are out of money, with only a fraction of
anticipated people enrolled.
6. Subsidies for retiree health benefits ran out of money in 1/3 the time
7. SHOP program for small businesses to purchase employee health insurance
in the state exchanges has been delayed for one year - and may not happen
8. Virtually no one believes the exchanges will be ready to accept
patients by 10/1/13.
9. 26 states NOT setting up exchanges and deferring to the federal
10. 17 states NOT expanding Medicaid.
11. Tax credits for small businesses were too complicated and only 10
percent of eligible employers took advantage of the credits.
12. Insurance co-ops – only 24/50 states.
13. 20,000 pages of new regulations to date.
14. 75% of small businesses believe ACA will hurt job creation.
15. The IRS has 46 new responsibilities under Obamacare – including collecting over $1 trillion in new taxes.
16. According to the CBO, the IRS will need an additional $10 billion in funding for Obamacare, and according to Rep. Paul Ryan will need an additional 16,500 new agents.
17. The employer mandate is delayed for one year.
It is time to repeal this monstrosity and start over with patient-centered health reform.